An official motto of Turnamancers is You're the real masters of move. According to Turnamancers, framing things that way makes casters from other disciplines that use Motion to think of Motion only in terms of physical movement or move points, while they actually see Motion like motivation. They can sense personal motives, tilt them, spin them and turn them.
- Increase Production Efficiency
- Turnamancy can reduce the build time for units produced in the city they are located.Erf-b2-pP25 Generally, the Turnamancer reduces production times to two-thirds of what they are without a Turnamancer; this may be a constant ratio. Charlescomm can pop archons 3 per 2 turns, instead of the normal 1/turn, and Faq pops a Royal Heir in 40 turns instead of 60. At significant expenditure in juice, they can reduce the cost to one-third.
- Prisoner Turning
- A Turnamancer can work on a prisoner over time, decreasing Loyalty and Duty to their Ruler and making a conversion to the Capturing side more likely. This can involve any combination of mind games, spells, nookie, and torture. Turnamancy can also counter Loyalty spells preventing a voluntary turning.
- Unit Turning
- A Turnamancer is able to instantly force a unit to turn in the field. Vanna mentioned this ability while explaining that circumstances made it likely to fail. Distance to the unit can affect the chances of success. It is likely that only master-class Turnamancers can do this, and that Loyalty, Duty, the caster's level, and the target's level also play a role.
- Off-Turn Movement
- Parson made note of actions which can and cannot be performed off-turn, with advice from Jack Snipe. According to Jack, units cannot normally move into other hexes off-turn, due to having zero Move. However, Turnamancers are capable of creating an 'exception' to this rule, which has yet to be fully explained.LIAB 33a
- Self-powered Vehicles
- These vehicles have many of the benefits of constructed units like golems, but function as an item. Only Turnamancers can make these vehiclesIPTSF_Text_44, since it involves spinning mechanical parts. Vanna mentioned creating carriages and showed the Dollamancer Bill how she can make his little wagon go. Erf-b3-p160
- Vanna has created some amount of mills, which are probably some kind of buildings involving millwheels.
- Drive Sense
- Can sense a unit's drive and what motivates them. This is among the Turnamancers' secrets.
- Gracie Robin
- Tina, as mentioned in IPTSF_Text_52 is probably a Turnamancer (both from the context and from the Tina Turner reference). TBC.
- Vanna, formerly in service to Unaroyal, later worked for Faq on a contract being financed by Charlescomm, currently a unit of Transylvito.
There are two known examples of the turnamancy speedup; the first is increasing 1 Archon / Turn to 3 Archons / 2 Turns. The second is increasing 1 Royal Heir / 60 Turns to 1 Royal Heir / 40 Turns. Both of these are consistent with the idea of the Turnamancer "storing" their turn on the first turn, then granting the stored turn to the city on the next turn. This may be how Turnamancers do it. Turnamancers may also be able to "steal" another unit's turn in battle, effectively paralysing both units.
If Turnamancy can slow time, this could be useful not only for popping units, but allow Regents to complete rounds and still have time for actions, or have direct military application.
Alternatively, it may be an effect not on how long a turn lasts but what can happen in that turn; possibly increasing production values and income. It may also be possible for a stack led by a Turnamancer to move farther and/or perform more actions/attacks per turn.
Yet another trick that may be accessible to Turnamancers is causing a unit to "refresh" (regaining hits, move, juice, etc,) at times other than the beginning of that unit's turn. This would effectively double the power of any given unit, as it would allow the unit to take hits, expend juice, and then regain these resources and do it again.
A master class turnamancer (or two, linked) may be able to skip an opposing side's turn. (another possibility is that this is done with turnamancy linked with carnymancy, this is suggested by her being under the control of Charlie, who is known to be a carnymancer, at the time.)
Natural Turnamancy may be how turn order is decided.
People often comment that Turnamancy appears to be a combination of two unrelated spheres of magic: loyalty and time. It grates against common sense to see a sphere of magic based upon a homonym, pun, or turn of phrase. Actually this may be a clue as to the fundamental nature of erfworld. It may be that to its very core erfworld's logic is derivative of certain aspects of English speaking Earth culture rather than having an internal logic of its own. For an example of another fictional world with a similar mechanic see The Study of Anglophysics.
- It is possible that Turnamancy decreasing a unit's loyalty is merely increasing the rate at which it changes based on other factors. Wanda Firebaugh and other units have been confirmed and implied (respectively) to have the ability to cause or coerce a unit to go against their loyalty (giving up information and possibly turning sides) without the use of non- Natural Thinkamancy. Therefore, it is a necessary conceit that some offensive form of Natural Thinkamancy (or a similar, undefined mechanism) is able to affect loyalty, from which it is a simple extension to believe that this process may be what Turnamancy expedites.