Spells of this Discipline normally involve influencing the mind or actions of a target.
The Thinkamancers are one of the most unified disciplines. All of them are part of a secret conspiracy, lead by the Great Minds that Think Alike, which works to conceal the full extent of their powers from everyone who is not a Thinkamancer. They are opposed to Charlie, who has learned many of their secrets through his attunement to the Arkendish, and is also a major potential threat to their trade.
Thinkamancy is derived from the observation and alteration of the Cosmic Vibrations of Grandiocosmic Strings. These vibrations cannot penetrate polarized Stuff, such as that which the Temple of the Thinkamancers is made from.
- Maggie: an adept-class Thinkamancer in service to Gobwin Knob
- Bunny: in service to Transylvito
- Isaac: a Carl Sagan or Isaac Newton-like Thinkamancer in the Magic Kingdom and the de facto spokesman of the Great Minds.
- Roger Victor Clarence: a member of the Great Minds.
- Tisha: A member of the Great Minds and the Thinkamancer who helped create the Summon Perfect Warlord Spell that brought Parson Gotti to Erfworld.
- Jintao: A member of the Great Minds. Kommissar Jintao may still be one of the leaders of the side of Tar Zhay.
- Empress Saltina: A member of the Great Minds. Saltina is the former Ruler of Dystokyo.
- A.V. Club: A member of the Great Minds.
- Pamelor: A member of the Great Minds.
- Maxwell, the long dead Thinkamancer of Haffaton.
- Princess Zelda-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Aristotle-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Psycho Mantis-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Spock-like thinkamancer
- Suggestion SpellsErf-b1-p084
- Modify a unit's loyalty.
- Merging the minds of casters together into a "psychological alloy" or gestalt with the Thinkamancer, allowing the casting of Spells uncastable by singular CastersErf-b1-p054
- Protecting oneself from the effects of breaking a long term mind-affecting spell
- Thinkagrams: long-ranged communication
- Can assist with or accelerate the healing of some forms of mental damage that are the results of Thinkamancy.Erf-b1-p084.
- Can increase the efficiency of a Unit's thought processes. Erf-b1-p104.
- Can use minor combat/stunning spells. Erf-b1-p133
- Don King can use his thinkamancer to see through bat units' eyes across an indefinite distance. This is apparently a stronger version of the natural Thinkamancy version.
- Able to determine how many units are in the immediate hex, as well as their status.
- Can send raw information directly into someone else's mind, without them having to actually learn it.
- Maggie is shown wearing a necklace with a yellow triangle around an eye. LIAB_58:11 It is not clear if this is a symbol of being a Thinkamancer or a member of group of Great Minds that Think Alike. It is possible the necklace enhances her ability to do Thinkamancy. Bunny appears to have a similar necklace[LIAB_59]
Apparently a step above a Novice at Thinkamancy.
The true power of Thinkamancy is far greater than most Erfworlders realize. It's actual capabilities are kept a closely guarded secret by its practitioners. Among these secrets are:
- All magic is channeled through what the Thinkamancers refer to as G-Strings. Thinkamancy is derived from vibrating the G-Strings themselves.
- Thinkagrams are not just one simple spell to communicate images and sound. They can transmit many other senses, such as intuition, and senses there aren't even names for.
- Loyalty is far more complex than most Erfworlders realize. While one may have strong loyalty to their ruler, other allegiances, such as loyalty to one's side or fellow members of a caster's discipline can pull a unit in other directions as well.
- The Arkendish is capable of intercepting, jamming, and even corrupting Thinkagrams. If this secret got out, it could badly hurt the Thinkamancers' entire trade, since everyone would start going to the Hat Magicians for communication instead. This is the main reason that the Thinkamancers are working alongside Parson against Charlie.
This magic is also important for the functioning of a Ruler.
To units using only Natural Thinkamancy, it appears to be the magic of the mind, however, Thinkamancers have stated it is the magic of the observation and alteration of the Cosmic Vibrations of Grandiocosmic Strings. Natural Thinkamancy allows these vibrations to be altered and detected by the mind, much like sound waves are detected by hearing and altered by speaking. The effects of this Discipline affect thoughts and attitudes. Natural Thinkamancy is Thinkamancy that is performed without the casting of a spell. There are two basic types of Natural Thinkamancy.
The first type of Natural Thinkamancy is a variety of Natural Ability. Natural Abilities that affect the mind are considered Natural Thinkamancies. The ability of Vinny's doombats to show him what they are seeingErf-b1-p049 is an example of this type of natural Thinkamancy. Maggie indicated experienced Warlords can use natural thinkamancy to telepathically convey battle orders to units on the field. Isaac noted that the intent of a commander in issuing an order to a non-speaking unit is a form of Natural Thinkamancy. Isaac also noted a Ruler in issuing an order to a remote field unit also was one of forms of natural Thinkamancy. LIAB Text 40
The second type of Natural Thinkamancy is a group of magical effects that are inherent to Units in the Erfworld universe. These Natural Thinkamancies are not spells, but instead are constantly-active effects.Erf-b1-p084a The more pervasive type of Natural Thinkamancy, common to all units, is a set of compulsions that ensure the people of Erfworld perform their duties without disrupting the world with too much overt backstabbing. These compulsions are Obedience, Loyalty, and Duty. The effects can often be very subtle. A Unit influenced by a Natural Thinkamancy will think that all its thoughts are its own, since they are presented to the Unit with ideas behind them. There are many more Natural Thinkamancies besides these three.
Loyalty is a hidden stat -- no Warlord can see it. Loyalty determines whether a Unit desires to serve the current Ruler. This determines how likely a Unit is to defect or switch Sides, or betray the Ruler. Captured Units have notoriously low Loyalty to their new Side, and so are often compelled via Thinkamancy Spells to become loyal to the new Ruler.
There are one known and one suspected case of betrayal by Units. In the known case, Wanda betrayed Faq to Stanley the Plaid, although she believed that Stanley would lose. In the suspected case, Stanley may have betrayed King Saline IV by instigating a Gobwin attack while Stanley was away with all the side's casters and at least some of its dwagons. In both cases, an Arkentool was involved in some way. Wanda believed that she would gain the Arkenhammer as a result of her action (in which case her "betrayal" might have been a net benefit to her side). Stanley had attuned to the Arkenhammer well before his betrayal.
Duty affects only Units with the Leadership or Caster Natural Abilities. Duty forces these Units to act in favor of the Ruler without specific orders on what the Ruler wants done. For instance, a Warlord that discovered a Stack slacking off would be compelled to force the Units back to work.
More thinkamancers have been shown than any other type of caster. Some have speculated this may indicate they have the highest probability of being popped randomly amongst the casters or some method is used to try and increase the chance. The latter would fit in with the suggestion that overlords or rulers can subconsciously control when and what sort of casters are popped. The former fits with the idea in Erf that the Titans select casters for sides and the long range communication ability makes them very valuable for most sides.
The fact that the Arkentools have involvement with betrayal suggests that the "higher power" referenced in Obedience may include other than worldly creatures. Stanley, for instance, believes he has a destiny forged by the Titans, and the belief that he is being guided by the Titans permitted Stanley to become disobedient. Wanda believes that she is being manipulated by Fate, and so was permitted to betray her Ruler, since she felt that Fate was a higher power than her Ruler.
Potentially, a Thinkamancer working with a Hat Magician or Dollamancer, or maybe linked up with them, could create polarized helmets that would negate many thinkamantic effects. These would quite possibly be made of tinfoil...
A Pledge is a solemn vow given by a Unit to do or refuse to do some specified actions. A Pledge is much harder to break than a simple promise.Erf-b1.5-p043
It is possible that each special adds a sort of "module" to a unit's mind to aid in the use of that special. For example, when Parson unlocked his caster special, it was described as a compartment in his mind opening up, giving him access to a special magical sense and letting him know how spells are pronounced. Similarly, warlords have a strong combat instinct that increases as they level up.
If true, this might be the reason Royals have a strong tendency to be snobby. Consciously, Jillian is indifferent to or even disdainful of Royalty. And yet, what is described as a royal part of her mind occasionally influences her behavior in spite of herself.
Real World References
One Thinkamancy Spell - Ephedra - apparently alleviates fatigue or works as a stimulant.Erf-b1-p104 This is a reference to the herbal stimulant Ephedra which contains both ephedrine and pseudoephedrine.