Spells of this Discipline normally involve influencing the mind or actions of a target.
All known Thinkamancers are part of a secret conspiracy, lead by the Great Minds that Think Alike, which works to conceal the full extent of their powers from everyone who is not a Thinkamancer. They are opposed to Charlie, who has learned many of their secrets through his attunement to the Arkendish.
Thinkamancy is derived from the observation and alteration of the Cosmic Vibrations of Grandiocosmic Strings. These vibrations cannot penetrate polarized Stuff, such as that which the Temple of the Thinkamancers is made from.
- Maggie: an adept-class Thinkamancer in service to Gobwin Knob
- Bunny: in service to Transylvito
- Isaac: a Carl Sagan or Isaac Newton-like Thinkamancer in the Magic Kingdom
- Princess Zelda-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Aristotle-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Psycho Mantis-like thinkamancer (possibly resides in Magic Kingdom)
- Spock-like thinkamancer
- Sanaki-like thinkamancer
- members of Great Minds that Think Alike
- Suggestion SpellsErf-b1-p084
- Merging the minds of casters together into a "psychological alloy" or gestalt with the Thinkamancer, allowing the casting of Spells uncastable by singular CastersErf-b1-p054
- Protecting oneself from the effects of breaking a long term mind-affecting spell
- Thinkagrams: long-ranged communication
- Can assist with or accelerate the healing of some forms of mental damage that are the results of Thinkamancy.Erf-b1-p084.
- Can increase the efficiency of a Unit's thought processes. Erf-b1-p104.
- Can use minor combat/stunning spells. Erf-b1-p133
- Don King can use his thinkamancer to see through bat units' eyes across an indefinite distance. This is apparently a stronger version of the natural Thinkamancy version.
- Maggie is shown wearing a necklace with a yellow triangle around an eye. LIAB_58:11 It is not clear if this is a symbol of being a Thinkamancer or a member of group of Great Minds that Think Alike. It is possible the necklace enhances her ability to do Thinkamancy.
apparently a step above a beginner at Thinkamancy
one of the ranks of Thinkamancy as mentioned in Book 2, Text Update 013LIAB Text 13
This magic is also important for the functioning of a Ruler.
To units using only Natural Thinkamancy, it appears to be the magic of the mind, however, Thinkamancers have stated it is the magic of the observation and alteration of the Cosmic Vibrations of Grandiocosmic Strings. Natural Thinkamancy allows these vibrations to be altered and detected by the mind, much like sound waves are detected by hearing and altered by speaking. The effects of this Discipline affect thoughts and attitudes. Natural Thinkamancy is Thinkamancy that is performed without the casting of a spell. There are two basic types of Natural Thinkamancy.
The first type of Natural Thinkamancy is a variety of Natural Ability. Natural Abilities that affect the mind are considered Natural Thinkamancies. The ability of Vinny's doombats to show him what they are seeingErf-b1-p049 is an example of this type of natural Thinkamancy. Maggie indicated experienced Warlords can use natural thinkamancy to telepathically convey battle orders to units on the field. Isaac noted that the intent of a commander in issuing an order to a non-speaking unit is a form of Natural Thinkamancy. Isaac also noted a Ruler in issuing an order to a remote field unit also was one of forms of natural Thinkamancy. LIAB Text 40
The second type of Natural Thinkamancy is a group of magical effects that are inherent to Units in the Erfworld universe. These Natural Thinkamancies are not spells, but instead are constantly-active effects.Erf-b1-p084a The more pervasive type of Natural Thinkamancy, common to all units, is a set of compulsions that ensure the people of Erfworld perform their duties without disrupting the world with too much overt backstabbing. These compulsions are Obedience, Loyalty, and Duty. The effects can often be very subtle. A Unit influenced by a Natural Thinkamancy will think that all its thoughts are its own, since they are presented to the Unit with ideas behind them. There are many more Natural Thinkamancies besides these three.
Loyalty is a hidden stat -- no Warlord can see it. Loyalty determines whether a Unit desires to serve the current Ruler. This determines how likely a Unit is to defect or switch Sides, or betray the Ruler. Captured Units have notoriously low Loyalty to their new Side, and so are often compelled via Thinkamancy Spells to become loyal to the new Ruler.
There are one known and one suspected case of betrayal by Units. In the known case, Wanda betrayed Faq to Stanley the Plaid, although she believed that Stanley would lose. In the suspected case, Stanley may have betrayed King Saline IV by instigating a Gobwin attack while Stanley was away with all the side's casters and at least some of its dwagons. In both cases, an Arkentool was involved in some way. Wanda believed that she would gain the Arkenhammer as a result of her action (in which case her "betrayal" might have been a net benefit to her side). Stanley had attuned to the Arkenhammer well before his betrayal.
Duty affects only Units with the Leadership or Caster Natural Abilities. Duty forces these Units to act in favor of the Ruler without specific orders on what the Ruler wants done. For instance, a Warlord that discovered a Stack slacking off would be compelled to force the Units back to work.
The fact that the Arkentools have involvement with betrayal suggests that the "higher power" referenced in Obedience may include other than worldly creatures. Stanley, for instance, believes he has a destiny forged by the Titans, and the belief that he is being guided by the Titans permitted Stanley to become disobedient. Wanda believes that she is being manipulated by Fate, and so was permitted to betray her Ruler, since she felt that Fate was a higher power than her Ruler.
A Pledge is a solemn vow given by a Unit to do or refuse to do some specified actions. A Pledge is much harder to break than a simple promise.Erf-b1.5-p043
More thinkamancers have been shown than any other type of caster. Some have speculated this may indicate they have the highest probability of being popped randomly amongst the casters or some method is used to try and increase the chance. The latter would fit in with the suggestion that overlords or rulers can subconsciously control when and what sort of casters are popped. The former fits with the idea in Erf that the Titans select casters for sides and the long range communication ability makes them very valuable for most sides.
Potentially, a Thinkamancer working with a Hat Magician or Dollamancer, or maybe linked up with them, could create polarized helmets that would negate many thinkamantic effects. These would quite possibly be made of tinfoil...
Real World References
One Thinkamancy Spell - Ephedra - apparently alleviates fatigue or works as a stimulant.Erf-b1-p104 This is a reference to the herbal stimulant Ephedra which contains both ephedrine and pseudoephedrine.