The Rand is a unit of currency used in the Magic Kingdom. It is not a physical coin or treasure, but a barter credit. Casters in the Magic Kingdom can offer their services or created scrolls to other casters in exchange for Shmuckers, but more often it is done for Rands.
Rands are only used between casters.
Rands were developed as a way to limit the power of Moneymancers in the Magic Kingdom; by existing outside their sphere of influence, Moneymancers can't alter the market of Rands in their own favor.
List of values in Rands used in the comic:
- Sizemore promised Janis 8 Rands for teaching him Hippiemancy, and gave her twenty. The twenty seemed to be intended as an especially generous gift, because he didn't expect to survive.Erf-b1-p011
- Janis promised any Master-class Thinkamancers 50 Rands each for unraveling the Maggie-Wanda-Sizemore. Thinkmancers did unravel the link but declined the reward. Erf-b1-p140
- Possible reference to Ayn Rand. If so, this might be a sign that the Magic Kingdom operates under meritocratic principles.
- May also be a reference to the real-world currency of the same name.
- Could also be tied into a Janice Rand (from Star Trek) reference, since the first use of the currency was when Sizemore paid Janis for hippiemancy lessons.
- May also be a reference to the leading character of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, Randal'Thor.
- May be a reference to Rand Holmes, an underground comic book artist who lived on Lasqueti Island (notable as a counterculture enclave) and who designed a cannabis-themed currency ($10 Canadian) for the island.