The Rand is a unit of currency used in the Magic Kingdom. It is not a physical coin or treasure, but a barter credit. Casters in the Magic Kingdom can offer their services or created scrolls to other casters in exchange for Shmuckers, but more often it is done for Rands.
List of values in Rands used in the comic:
- Sizemore promised Janis 8 Rands for teaching him Hippiemancy, and gave her twenty. The twenty seemed to be intended as an especially generous gift, because he didn't expect to survive.Erf-b1-p011
- Janis promised any Master-class Thinkamancers 50 Rands each for unraveling the Maggie-Wanda-Sizemore -link.Erf-b1-p140
Does not appear to be used outside the Magic Kingdom.
Rands may be used as a way to limit the power of Moneymancers in the Magic Kingdom by existing outside their sphere of influence, but this will not be able to be confirmed until more is known about them.
- Possible reference to Ayn Rand. If so, this might be a sign that the Magic Kingdom operates under meritocratic principles.
- May also be a reference to the real-world currency of the same name.
- Could also be tied into a Janice Rand (from Star Trek) reference, since the first use of the currency was when Sizemore paid Janis for hippiemancy lessons.
- May also be a reference to the leading character of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, Randal'Thor.