On Erfworld, things which seem to have no practical function can perform a symbolic function. For example, Gobwin Knob has a "bank", which is simply an empty building. By occasionally stepping inside this "bank", Parson can "inspect" the "bank", which makes Gobwin Knob's economy more productive.
Since there is no pregnancy and there are no babies in Erfworld, heirs are popped, Nookie also seems to have no practical bearing on poppingWoT-4047518. However, it may serve an important symbolic function. According to Parson's discussion with Maggie, it would seem that the technical act and, erm, "Tools" involved are much the same.
Known Nookie Pairings
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Prince Ansom TBFGK 73
- Queen Jillian Zamussels and Count Vinny Doombats First Intermission 49
- Lady Wanda Firebaugh and Overlord Stanley the Tool TBFGK 48
- Sizemore Rockwell and Uhura LIAB Text 31
- Countess Artemis and Prince Forthewin LIAB Text 50
- Dame Olive Branch and Atomic "Tommy" Firebaugh IPTSF Text 14
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Countess Marika Neagle IPTSF Text 43
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Viscount Bart Lightrail IPTSF Text 38
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Three-Edged Sword IPTSF Text 37
- Terry Sagittari and Dodge LIAB Text 55
- Count Vinny Doombats and Jaclyn, two other Archons TBFGK 73
- Archons and unknown clients First Intermission 46
- Lady Wanda Firebaugh and various Haffaton Casters IPTSF Text 55
While Nookie serves no biological functions, it may be considered to serve social functions like with bonobos. It has also been speculated that it can influence the traits of a popped unit when an heir or noble unit is involved. Namely, Jillian and Vinny's involvement is speculated to have a bearing on the personality/temperament of the FAQ Heir currently in production.
Nookie could be a form of Natural Date-a-mancy. In addition to the aformentioned possible influence on heirs, the nature of the emotions involved with such an act could both build and destroy relationships, not only between individual units, but also sides. A study of who is (or is not) engaging in Nookie with whom and why may give a breakdown of relationships between units and how to use that against the units in question.
There certainly appear to be real emotional attachments associated with these pairings, as evidenced by the complexities of the relationships between Wanda, Jillian, Ansom, and Vinny. However, it is unclear how deeply these emotional bonds run, and it may depend on the individual. That said, there have been multiple cases in which "love" and nookie coincide, and those conflicting emotions, particularly when combined with the ability of ruler, warlord and caster units to exercise freewill, may have changed the outcomes of engagements (Wanda not croaking Jillian at the Tower of Efdup, or Jillian's capturing Ansom at the Expository Bridge).
Possible Nookie Pairings
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Lady Wanda Firebaugh
- Archons and Charlie
- Archons and Parson Gotti
- Queen Bea and Don King
- Viscount Caesar Borgata and Bunny
- Sizemore Rockwell and Maggie
- Ace and Cubbins
- King Slately and Holly Shortcake
- Dame Olive Branch and Lady Wanda Firebaugh
- Dame Olive Branch and King Loj Banhammer
- Bill and his eldritch creations of Dollamancy