On Erfworld, things which seem to have no practical function can perform a symbolic function. For example, Gobwin Knob has a "bank", which is simply an empty building. By occasionally stepping inside this "bank", Parson can "inspect" the "bank", which makes Gobwin Knob's economy more productive.
Since there is no pregnancy and there are no babies in Erfworld, heirs are popped, Nookie also seems to have no practical bearing on poppingWoT-4047518. However, it may serve an important symbolic function. According to Parson's discussion with Maggie, it would seem that the technical act and, erm, "Tools" involved are much the same.
Known Nookie Pairings
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Prince Ansom
- Queen Jillian Zamussels and Count Vinny Doombats
- Lady Wanda Firebaugh and Overlord Stanley the Tool
- Sizemore Rockwell and Uhura
- Countess Artemis and Prince Forthewin
- Dame Olive Branch and Atomic "Tommy" Firebaugh
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Countess Marika Neagle
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Viscount Bart Lightrail
While Nookie serves no biological functions, it may be considered to serve social functions like with bonobos. It has also been speculated that it can influence the traits of a popped unit when an heir or noble unit is involved. Namely, Jillian and Vinny's involvement is speculated to have a bearing on the personality/temperament of the FAQ Heir currently in production.
There certainly appear to be real emotional attachments associated with these pairings, as evidenced by the complexities of the relationships between Wanda, Jillian, Ansom, and Vinny. However, it is unclear how deeply these emotional bonds run, and it may depend on the individual. That said, there have been multiple cases in which "love" and nookie coincide, and those conflicting emotions, particularly when combined with the ability of ruler, warlord and caster units to exercise freewill, may have changed the outcomes of engagements (Wanda not croaking Jillian at the Tower of Efdup, or Jillian's capturing Ansom at the Expository Bridge).
Possible Nookie Pairings
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Lady Wanda Firebaugh
- Count Vinny Doombats and Jaclyn, two other Archons
- Archons and unknown clients
- Archons and Charlie
- Archons and Parson Gotti
- Queen Bea and Don King
- Princess Jillian Zamussels and Jack Snipe
- Viscount Caesar Borgata and Bunny
- Sizemore Rockwell and Maggie
- Ace and Cubbins
- King Slately and Holly Shortcake
- Dame Olive Branch and Lady Wanda Firebaugh
- Dame Olive Branch and King Banhammer