A Unit can Move only on its own Turn. At the beginnning of a Turn, the Unit's Movement is set to the value of its Move stat. The Unit's Move statistic is the number of hexes that Unit can enter per Turn; thus, each hex a Unit enters normally reduces its Movement by 1. A Unit may freely move inside a hex at no Move cost at night and on other Side's Turns. At the end of Turn, the Unit's Movement is set to zero, preventing the Unit from Moving again that day: this prevents Movement by a Unit that becomes an ally during another Side's Turn if it allies during its Turn, while still allowing it to otherwise perform as if on Turn.
There are two known types of movement:
Some terrain types are restricted, allowing entry to only particular types of units.
- Mountains can only be passed by Fliers. Tunnels may be created to allow passage for non-Fliers, but only for light units.Erf-b1-p082 and Erf-b1-p098a
- Heavy trees
- Water hexes may not be entered except by fliers and water unitsErf-b1-p060
- Lava lake may only be crossed by fliers and may not be landed on.Erf-b2-p2
Cities are divided into Zones. A city is treated as a single hex for the owning Side: no Movement is expended for the owning Side's units when transferring from Zone to Zone, allowing the defensive units to redeploy to protect the city at will (though it still takes time to actually move the distance). Enemy sides must expend Move in order to enter a city Zone. There may be restrictions on where Units in a Zone can attack, or what terrain features must be dealt with before an attack may occur. (ie. Courtyard could only be attacked from Outer Walls, if Outer Walls had been breached.) See Zone for more detailed information on Zones.
Known City Zones
- Outer Walls -- may only be passed if breached
- Tunnels -- may only be entered by light Units, with some exceptions
- Airspace -- may only be entered by fliers
- Garrison -- must be breached like Outer Walls, but may be breached from any of the other zones above. In Gobwin Knob, Garrison is further divided into three zones
- Courtyard -- may only be passed if breached, may only be attacked from Outer Walls or other Garrison zones
- Tower -- may only be attacked from Airspace or other Garrison zones
- Dungeon -- may only be attacked from Tunnels or other Garrison zones
- Special Zones:
- Lava Lake -- theoretically once part of the Courtyard, this area in inaccessible to most units, but fliers may cross it (and battle over it, presumably) but may not land.
Different Terrain types may cost more Movement to enter than 1, and there may be different values for different Units. Forest Units may pay less than non-forest Units when entering a forest hex, for instance.
It is not known if Allied units expend Move when moving from Zone to Zone inside an Allied city. However; when Parson observes Bogroll through the 3-D glasses Bogroll's Move stat is listed at zero,Erf-b1-p040a implying that crossing a Zone boundary does not require the expense of Movement.
The size of a hex is not known.
Tunneling may be a movement type, a Natural Ability, or both.
The existence of water Units implies the Movement type Swimming.
A caster using a portal to the Magic Kingdom may not be considered movement since the linked Maggie-Wanda-Sizemore and Parson were able to use Gobwin Knob's portal to the Magic Kingdom during the turn of the RCC.Erf-b1-p136 This may imply that a moving is defined as crossing a hex side, and all portal travel is free.