Level is a statistic of Units. Units increase in Level by gaining experience. When a Unit's Level increases, it is called "leveling".Erf-b1-p065 Leveling increases a Unit's power by increasing statistics and granting access to new abilities. The Unit's power increases linearly relative to Level. The (theoretical) experience requirements for leveling are exponential, requiring croaking many more enemies (or enemies worth more experience) to increase a Level than the previous level. Although there is no maximum Level, levels beyond 10 or 11 are extremely difficult to attain. Because of the immense Experience requirement, surpassing Level 20 is very rare.
It is possible, though difficult, to gain levels by training alone. Artemis went from level 6 to level 7 this way, while managing a city: it took her 640 turns. She also trained up her knights this way.LIAB Text 50
Perhaps separately, the term level is also used as a statistic describing the defensive difficulty of a city. Improving fortifications increases a city's level; damage to a city's fortifications can reduce the level. The range for the level of a city is from 1 (weakest) through 5 (strongest).
- 12 - Olive Branch, Hippiemancer, Chief Caster of HaffatonIPTSF Text 49
- 10 - Prince Ansom, probably the most powerful warlord in the Coalition during the Battle for Gobwin Knob. He kept his level after being decrypted.Erf-b1-p145
- 9 - Warlord Jillian Zamussels, Royal, Barbarian, Mercenary, one of the best Warlords of the coalition.TBFGK 50
- 9 - Ossomer.LIAB Text 47
- 8 - Artemis, warlord for Unaroyal.Erf-b2-pT50
- 7 - Pierce, Healomancer, Chief Caster of Jetstone.LIAB Text 41
- 6 - Lady Sylvia Lazarus, the warlord who led Unaroyal's army of the Coalition. She was Croaked in the event of Volcano Uncroaking during the Battle for Gobwin Knob and later Decrypted by Wanda
- 5 - Warlord Sir Webinar, Commander for Jetstone,TBFGK 50 unsure of himself as leader in the tunnel action.
- 4 - Warlord Mack Ramay of GoodmintonIPTSF Text 17
- 3 - Warlord Rex Cakes of GoodmintonIPTSF Text 17
- 2 - Warlord Dora, Webinar's comrade.TBFGK 50
- 2 - Parson, though he is "special" Erf-b1-p077a
- 1 - ZhopaLIAB Text 48
Estimated Unit Levels
- Bogroll levelled twice after killing Ansom, a level 10 Chief Warlord, and so at the time of his death, was at least level 3.
- Sizemore also gained 2 levels during the Battle for Gobwin Knob and another while rebuilding conquered cities, and so is a minimum of level 4.
- Pierce is the highest-level Caster in Jetstone,LIAB Text 41 so
- Fritz was stated to be Goodminton's highest level warlord,IPTSF Text 6 and since Mack Ramay was level 4,IPTSF Text 17 presumably Fritz was at least level 5.
- 8 - Theoretical level of Gobwin Knob once defensive bonuses are consideredErf-b1.5-p002. As Gobwin Knob is the toughest defensive position in the known worldErf-b1-p23, presumably no cities have higher level.
- 5 - Base level of the Capital and lone city of CharlescommErf-b1.5-p046; however, its effective level might be supplemented by the additional "truly murderous defenses".
- 5 - Level of the Jetstone city of Dhrystone. Erf-b1.5-p040 At level five, it can pop a stack of eight pikers or one of six stabbers per turn, or one Gump every third turn.
- 5 - Base level of Gobwin Knob without defensive bonusesErf-b1.5-p002, and the apparent natural maximum level of a city.
- 5 - Level of the Jetstone city of Spacerock
- 5 - Level of the former capital city, Efbaum IPTSF Text 51
- 4 - Technical level of Transylvito Erf-b1.5-p017 due to the minor outer walls, although the difficulty of approach might make for an effective higher level.
- 4 - Level of the capital city of FaqErf-b1.5-p37
- 4 - Level of Goodminton (the eponymous side's capital city)IPTSF Text 3
- 4 - Level of the Haffaton city of KilotonIPTSF Text 11
- 3 - Level of the Jitterati city of Kona before it was sacked by FaqErf-b1.5-p049
- 2 - Level of the Transylvito city of Aqua VelvaErf-b1.5-p013
- 2 - Level of the Transylvito city of Chocula after being seized from CarpoolErf-b1.5-p47
- 2 - Level of the Faq farming city of OtohErf-b1.5-p37
- 2 - Level of the Faq farming city of KiboErf-b1.5-p37
- 2 - Level of the Jitterati city of Valdez before it was conquered by FaqErf-b1.5-p049
- 2 - Level of the Unaroyal city of Warchalking just before Gobwin Knob retook it
- 2 - Level of the Haffaton city of PlanktonIPTSF Text 11
- 1 - Base ranking of Gobwin Knob at the nadir of the Battle for Gobwin KnobErf-b1-p133
- 1 - Level of Pantstown, a city disputed by Haggar and JetstoneErf-b1.5-p040
Jillian Zamussels described herself, Sir Webinar, and Dora as "a 9," "a 5," and "a 2," respectively.Erf-b1-p050 However, these numbers were not specifically identified as levels, and may refer to some other trait such as leadership. However, since a) Level is the basic benchmark everyone seems to use when talking about a unit's ability, and b) known values of both Level and Leadership point to Level = Leadership (for the immediate stack), it makes the most sense that Jillian was referring to Levels.
Caesar Borgata, Viscount of Vitalis, Chief Warlord of Transylvito, has a high Leadership bonus and is a capable combatant, and would seem to be in the 8-10 range. He also rather effortlessly held off Jillian's attack, which, considering she's a Level 9 focused on melee, may put him at level 10.
It's possible that leveling is based on groups of 8. As an example: Bob, a Level 2 stabber, would need to croak 8 Level 2 Gobwins to reach Level 3. Alternatively, if Bob were fighting weaker Level 1 Marbits, it would take 16 to level. Alternatively if, via Luckamancy perhaps, Bob managed to croak a level 5 Warlord, he would immediately level from that single opponent.