Level is a statistic of Units. Units increase in Level by gaining experience. When a Unit's Level increases, it is called "leveling".Erf-b1-p065 Leveling increases a Unit's power by increasing statistics and granting access to new abilities. The Unit's power increases linearly relative to Level. The (theoretical) experience requirements for leveling are exponential, requiring croaking many more enemies (or enemies worth more experience) to increase a Level than the previous level. Although there is no maximum Level, levels beyond 10 or 11 are extremely difficult to attain. Because of the immense Experience requirement, surpassing Level 20 is very rare.
Perhaps separately, the term level is also used as a statistic describing the defensive difficulty of a city. Improving fortifications increases a city's level; damage to a city's fortifications can reduce the level.
- 10 - Prince Ansom, probably the most powerful warlord in the Coalition, during the Battle for Gobwin Knob
- 10 - Decrypted Ansom.Erf-b1-p145
- 9 - Warlord Jillian Zamussels, Royal, Barbarian, Mercenary, one of the best Warlords of the coalition.TBFGK 50
- 9 - Ossomer.LIAB Text 47
- 7 - Lady Sylvia Lazarus, the warlord who led Unaroyal's army of the Coalition. She was Croaked in the event of Volcano Uncroaking during the Battle for Gobwin Knob and later Decrypted by Wanda
- 7 - Pierce, Healomancer, Chief Caster of Jetstone.LIAB Text 41
- 5 - Warlord Sir Webinar, Commander for Jetstone,TBFGK 50 unsure of himself as leader in the tunnel action.
- 2 - Warlord Dora, Webinar's comrade.TBFGK 50
- 2 - Parson, though he is "special"
Bogroll levelled twice after killing Ansom, a level 10 Chief Warlord, and so at the time of his death, was at least level 3. Sizemore also gained 2 levels during the Battle for Gobwin Knob and another while rebuilding conquered cities, and so is a minimum of level 4. Pierce is the highest-level Caster in Jetstone,LIAB Text 41 so Ace Hardware, Cubbins, and Lloyd are each a maximum of level 6.
- 8 - Theoretical level of Gobwin Knob once defensive bonuses are consideredFirst Intermission 2. As Gobwin Knob is the toughest defensive position in the known worldErf-b1-p23, presumably no cities have higher level.
- 5 - Base level of the Capital and lone city of CharlescommFirst Intermission 46; however, its effective level might be supplemented by the additional "truly murderous defenses".
- 5 - Level of the Jetstone city of Dhrystone
- 5 - Base level of Gobwin Knob without defensive bonusesFirst Intermission 2, and the apparent natural maximum level of a city.
- 5 - Level of the Jetstone city of Spacerock
- 4 - Technical level of Transylvito First Intermission 17 due to the minor outer walls, although the difficulty of approach might make for an effective higher level.
- 4 - Level of the capital city of Faq
- 3 - Level of the Jitterati city of Kona before it was sacked by Faq
- 2 - Level of the Transylvito city of Aqua Velva
- 2 - Level of the Transylvito city of Chocula after being seized from Carpool
- 2 - Level of the Faq farming city of Otoh
- 2 - Level of the Faq farming city of Kibo
- 2 - Level of the Jitterati city of Valdez before it was conquered by Faq
- 2 - Level of the Unaroyal city of Warchalking just before Gobwin Knob retook it
- 1 - Base ranking of Gobwin Knob at the nadir of the Battle for Gobwin KnobErf-b1-p133</ref>
- 1 - Level of Pantstown, a city disputed by Haggar and Jetstone.
Jillian Zamussels described herself, Sir Webinar, and Dora as "a 9," "a 5," and "a 2," respectively.Erf-b1-p050 However, these numbers were not specifically identified as levels, and may refer to some other trait such as leadership. However, since a) Level is the basic benchmark everyone seems to use when talking about a unit's ability, and b) known values of both Level and Leadership point to Level = Leadership (for the immediate stack), it makes the most sense that Jillian was referring to Levels.
Caesar Borgata, Viscount of Vitalis, Chief Warlord of Transylvito, has a high Leadership bonus and is a capable combatant, and would seem to be in the 8-10 range. He also rather effortlessly held off Jillian's attack, which, considering she's a Level 9 focused on melee, may put him at level 10.
It's possible that leveling is based on groups of 8. As an example: Bob, a Level 2 stabber, would need to croak 8 Level 2 Gobwins to reach Level 3. Alternatively, if Bob were fighting weaker Level 1 Marbits, it would take 16 to level. Alternatively if, via Luckamancy perhaps, Bob managed to croak a level 5 Warlord, he would immediately level from that single opponent.