Level is a statistic of Units. Units increase in Level by gaining experience. When a Unit's Level increases, it is called "leveling".Erf-b1-p065 Leveling increases a Unit's power by increasing statistics and granting access to new abilities. The Unit's power increases linearly relative to Level. The (theoretical) experience requirements for leveling are exponential, requiring croaking many more enemies (or enemies worth more experience) to increase a Level than the previous level. Although there is no maximum Level, levels beyond 10 or 11 are extremely difficult to attain. Because of the immense Experience requirement, surpassing Level 20 is very rare.
- 10 - Prince Ansom, probably the most powerful warlord in the Coalition, during the Battle for Gobwin Knob
- 10 - Decrypted Ansom. Erf-b1-p145
- 9 - Warlord Jillian Zamussels, Royal, Barbarian, Mercenary, one of the best Warlords of the coalition.
- 7 - Lady Sylvia Lazarus, the warlord who led Unaroyal's army of the Coalition. She was Croaked in the event of Volcano Uncroaking during the Battle for Gobwin Knob and later Decrypted by Wanda
- 7 - Pierce, Healomancer, Chief Caster of Jetstone
- 5 - Warlord Sir Webinar, Commander for Jetstone, unsure of himself as leader in the tunnel action.
- 2 - Warlord Dora, Webinar's comrade
- 2 - Parson, though he is "special"
Bogroll levelled twice after killing Ansom, a level 10 Chief Warlord, and so at the time of his death, was at least level 3. Sizemore also gained 2 levels during the Battle for Gobwin Knob and another while rebuilding conquered cities, and so is a minimum of level 4. Pierce is the highest-level Caster in Jetstone, so Ace Hardware, Cubbins, and Lloyd are each a maximum of level 6.
Jillian Zamussels described herself, Sir Webinar, and Dora as "a 9," "a 5," and "a 2," respectively.Erf-b1-p050 However, these numbers were not specifically identified as levels, and may refer to some other trait such as leadership. However, since a) Level is the basic benchmark everyone seems to use when talking about a unit's ability, and b) known values of both Level and Leadership point to Level = Leadership (for the immediate stack), it makes the most sense that Jillian was referring to Levels.
Caesar Borgata, Viscount of Vitalis, Chief Warlord of Transylvito, has a high Leadership bonus and is a capable combatant, and would seem to be in the 8-10 range. He also rather effortlessly held off Jillian's attack, which, considering she's a Level 9 focused on melee, may put him at level 10.
It's possible that leveling is based on groups of 8. As an example: Bob, a Level 2 stabber, would need to croak 8 Level 2 Gobwins to reach Level 3. Alternatively, if Bob were fighting weaker Level 1 Marbits, it would take 16 to level. Alternatively if, via Luckamancy perhaps, Bob managed to croak a level 5 Warlord, he would immediately level from that single opponent.