Kingdom of Faq
The Kingdom of Faq is a Capital Side in Erfworld. It was destroyed, but has been restored with Queen Jillian as its Ruler.Erf-b1.5-p037 It is now a member of the Royal Crown Coalition II. Count Vinny Doombats is the liaison between Faq and Transylvito, and Jillian's lover. Jillian has formed a secret alliance with Charlie. Since the fall of Unaroyal, Don King has been sending substantial resources to Faq over the objections of his Chief Warlord Caesar Borgata.
Faq consists of a Capital of the same name and two subordinate cities. It also has farms and mines. It is surrounded with mountains on all sides and accessible only by air and tunnel.Erf-b1-p082 This Terrain makes it much easier to defend Faq against a numerically superior army. There is at least one pass through the mountains, called the Faq Gap. A river flows through the Kingdom of Faq.
- King Banhammer -- Royal Ruler, Deceased
- Queen Jillian Zamussels -- former Royal Warlord and Heir, former Barbarian mercenary, current Ruler
- Lady Wanda Firebaugh -- Croakamancer, currently employed by Lord Stanley the Tool
- Jack Snipe -- Foolamancer, currently employed by Stanley the Tool
- Duncan Scone -- Level 6 Warlord, Formerly Jitterati
- Vanna -- Turnamancer Formerly employed by Unaroyal
- Five newly created Warlords, two of which are level 2, one of which is possibly named Danny or Dave.
- Royal Heir likely to be popped at some point after Turn 84 After BoGK.
(In Turn 18 After BoGK)
- Faq -- Level 4, Capital. The city of Faq has unusual defenses, which seem specifically designed to defend against Dwagon attacks.
- Otoh -- Level 2, farming
- Kibo -- Level 2, farming
City of Faq
Description of the Capital City of Faq from Erf-b1.5-p037:
- "It was circular, sharp, and shining.
- The outer "walls" were useless against siege, even worse than Transylvito's. They consisted of a ring of stone teeth with a reflective coating of tin, inward-curving towers that terminated in spoon-like roosts for gwiffons and megalogwiffs. There was no gate. Vinny simply flew between these pillars and entered the city. A horn somewhere announced him as an arriving allied unit.
- The garrison was a set of six more teeth, much taller, fortified with solid walls that joined them like webbing. Three of these walls had gated archways, adorned with Gothic patterns in wrought iron and stone.
- At the center of the garrison rose a tower constructed with all the ferocity of Jillian's imagination. It was shaped something like a white marble palm tree. The trunk was a twist of six massive columns, tapering slightly as they reached straight upward. The top of the tower was a miniature fortress, a bristle of glass and hard spikes, with ledges and platforms where many dozens of flyers could land, or hundreds of defenders could lurk."
The Peaceful Kingdom
King Banhammer sought a peaceful, non-violent existence for his Kingdom, and so avoided combat that put his nation at risk. He relied heavily on the use of magic and had multiple Casters, including a PredictamancerErf-b1-p082, a Croakamancer (Wanda Firebaugh), and a Foolamancer (Jack Snipe)Erf-b1-p107.
When enemy units appeared nearby (usually passing through his territory unaware a nation existed there), the Predictamancer was able to lay out the route the force would follow, allowing Jack to Veil one City at a time; thus, he managed to keep the location of Faq hidden until Wanda revealed the existence of Faq to Stanley.
Although the kingdom had mines and farms, King Banhammer found it necessary to send its units to do mercenary work, in order to supplement the treasury.Erf-b1-p082 Jillian assumed command over these mercenaries after she had problems with King Banhammer. Her employment as a mercenary provided her with combat experience that helped her reach a relatively high level. This left her in the field when Wanda conspired with Stanley to attack Faq, and subsequently left her with all the mercenaries as a Barbarian force. Jillian remains the only known former Faq Unit that is not working for Stanley the Tool.
Fall of Faq
The Predictamancer foretold the eventual fall of the kingdom of Faq. This led King Banhammer to order an heir popped: that Unit was Jillian Zamussels. The two failed to get along, and so Jillian took service leading Faq's mercenaries far from the Kingdom.
Wanda had been given a second Prediction: she would one day attune to an Arkentool. This would lead her to desperate measures in finding her destiny. She eventually learned of Stanley the Plaid, a Warlord in the service of King Saline IV at the time, who had attuned to the Arkenhammer. Thinking to take this Arkentool from him, she conspired with Stanley to bring him to Faq. Her intent was to see Stanley die in the attack on her side. She had over-estimated Faq's defenses, and so Stanley succeeded in destroying and pillaging Faq, ending the side.
The mercenaries, including Jillian, became Barbarians as a result of the loss of their side and continued their lives as they had been living, but seeking information on their homeland whenever possible. Jillian is the only human unit known to survive this lifestyle, but she is not yet aware of Wanda's part in the destruction of Faq. Jillian is the only known Faq unit that is not working for Stanley the Tool.
Main article: Erfworld Geography
Faq is located in the vicinity of the Kingdom of Transylvito. Transylvito units passed by Faq (although not seeing it) periodically.Erf-b1-p138 It is located deep within the High Mountains, nearly impassible except for fliers and tunnelers.Erf-b1-p099
Under Banhammer, the livery of Faq was green, Far Eastern styled clothing.
Under Jillian, the livery is now silver and white.
At the time of this writing (Summer Update 38), it appears that Don King does not expect Jillian to participate in the war for at least 60 turns. He has ordered Jillian to pop a Royal Heir, which means Faq's armies will grow much more slowly than they would otherwise have done. Because Faq's isolation and terrain makes it well suited for defense, it may be that Don envisions Faq becoming a defensive fortress where he or his Royal Heir can survive, even if Stanley destroys Transylvito. Jillian and Don are still unaware that Stanley the Tool has a growing army of fliers that includes Dwagons and Archons that could threaten Transylvito. But since Stanley has attacked Transylvito in the past, Don King may believe he will attack again soon. If he decides that Transylvito is about to fall to Stanley, Don could conceivably adopt Stanley's escape plan, and send his Heir, with the remaining flying Vampires, Goyles, and Doombats to Faq. Once there, they would become Mercenaries, whom Jillian could hire.
Under King Banhammer, Faq was devoted to the study of philosophy. There may have been a correlation between the names of the towns and the style of philosophy practiced there. Philosophers in the capital sought to answer Frequently Asked Questions. Philosophers in Kibo were very critical of other philosopher's reasoning, deriding it as Knowledge In, Boop Out. Philosophers in Otoh, On The Other Hand, saw value on the arguments of both Faq and Kibo.
In the future, Faqian philosophy may develop in directions pleasing to Queen Jillian. For example, both the institution of Royalty and the Arkentools were created by the Titans. This suggests they may both have a role to play in the Titan's Plan. According to this line of reasoning, Stanley's great crime is to attempt to use one aspect of the Titan's Plan, the Arkentools, to destroy another aspect, Royalty. The rejection of the Arkentools by the members of the Royal Crown Coalition is equally objectionable. Jillian's efforts to combine the powers of Royalty and the Arkentools, by allying with Charlie, and possibly by attempting to persuade Wanda to return to Faq with the Arkenpliers, represents the true will of the Titans.
Faq's only avenue of attack for ground units are a system of Tunnels. They would benefit from a force of tunnel fighters. Two possible types of unit which could fill these roles are Marbits and Gobwins. Given the problems Stanley is having finding Gobwins, it's possible that Charlie has helped Jillian forge an alliance with the Gobwins.
The Royal Heir
2 Philosopher-Prince: Faq has a tradition of philosophy. Might Jillian's child be like her Father in this way?
3 Warrior Princess: She's just like her Mom.
Real World References
Faq is also a pun on "The Eternal Questions," such as 'Who am I?', 'What do I want?', 'What is my purpose for being?', 'Is there an afterlife?', 'What is my role in society?', etc.
Western Giants seem to be based on the San Francisco Giants baseball team.