Since "Erf" is the name of the world, much as "Earth" (which is another word for "dirt") is the name of the Real World, then being the magic discipline which is closest to the physical "stuff" of the world, Dirtamancy is the magic discipline that has the most impact on the physical in the land of Erf. It is apparently a rare discipline and highly valued around the Magic Kingdom. Conversely it seems to be under-appreciated outside of the Magic Kingdom.
- Moving and digging through solid stone.
- Creating and healing Dirtamancy golems such as
- Creation of booby traps. (Could be solely the application of enhanced digging or tunneling abilities.)
- Construction and demolition of buildings and Cities and also similar battlefield and civil engineering tasks.
- Building walls, tilling gardens, digging foundations, making stone paths, etc.
- Alteration of terrain type. (Accomplished by a Dirtamancer linked by a Thinkamancer to a Croakamancer.)
- Dirtamancers are the only units that can put out a fire that has reached Inferno status.
A Dirtamancer is also known to give a substantial combat bonus to Dirtamancy golems under his or her command.
A Dirtamancer present in the city at the time of an upgrade also substantially reduces the cost. A Dirtamancer that is present when a city upgrades dictates the look of the city and the livery (if any) present within. First Intermission 25
As a form of Stuffamancy, Dirtamancy is aligned with Matter, but not with Life or Motion. However, most of the abilities which a Dirtamancer commands seem to allow him to either grant matter a magical substitute for Life (as in the creation of golems), or to involve the movement of matter, (such as in the construction of tunnels.)
The building and upgrading of a city is a form of natural dirtamancy, as is sacking a city by an enemy. Gobwins and Marbits may practice Natural Dirtamancy as they engineer in the ground, digging tunnels and the like, in addition to having tunnel-fighting skill.