|Natural Magic, Caster, Caster link, Juice, Scroll, Magic Item, Spell, Grandiocosmic Strings, Channels, Nodes, Dictums|
Caster proficiency: Novice – Adept – Master
A Caster link is made when two or three Casters are joined physically (via holding hands or by a chain, for instance) and mentally through a Thinkamancer in order to create a whole greater than the sum of its parts. The linked Casters can perform Spells far more powerful and complex than any single Caster could consider possible. Casters united in this way are said to be linked.
A Thinkamancer joins with one or two other Casters to create a combined consciousness. The process of creating the link can be aided by each Caster recalling how it felt when it first cast a Spell of its Discipline, which is described as warm, comforting, and familiar.Erf-b1-p135 The casters then lose their individuality and revert to representing only their Discipline. It is still possible for a Caster to remember its former existenceErf-b1-p046, but using this knowledge strains and might break the link.Erf-b1-p054 The link is fragile, and can be broken by merely calling one of the Casters by its name, so the linked Casters are referred to by their Disciplines instead (ie. Thinkamancer, Dirtamancer, Lookamancer, etc.).
Breaking the link can result in damage to the minds of the Casters, but this is similar to the backlash of other Thinkamancy Spells, so a good Thinkamancer can protect herself (or himself) from the damage by forcing the other Casters to bear the brunt.Erf-b1-p084. This can lead to insanity of the other Casters and in an extreme case, death. Erf-b1-p077
- Uncroak volcanoesErf-b1-p135 and control the direction of the blastErf-b1-p142
- Enhanced perception of terrain (leading to gem finding)Erf-b1-p142
- Upgrading a City with better results than by a Dirtamancer alone.
- Created a particularly powerful hat, which allowed its wearer (not a caster) to use a datamancy ability repeatedly and without apparent expenditure of juice. Actual effect on battle of hat was described as "somewhere between extra Leadership bonus and Luckamancy"
To discuss the power of speculative link-ups, please visit Speculative Link-ups.
Some sides combine Mathamancy and LuckamancyErf-b1-p054. Sizemore explicitly compares the power of the combination to that of the Eyemancer link-up, which inspires some people to believe this a link-up with a Thinkamancer.
- Targeted Luck: The Mathamancer determines the most important battles and the Luckamancer tilts them in his side's favour.