|Natural Magic, Caster, Caster link, Juice, Scroll, Magic Item, Spell, Grandiocosmic Strings, Channels, Nodes, Dictums|
Caster proficiency: Novice – Adept – Master
- 1 Proposed Canon
- 1.1 Known Links
- 1.1.1 Thinkamancer/Foolamancer/Lookamancer
- 1.1.2 Thinkamancer/Croakamancer/Dirtamancer
- 1.1.3 Thinkamancer/Dirtamancer
- 1.1.4 Thinkamancer/Foolamancer
- 1.1.5 Thinkamancer/Carnymancer/Turnamancer
- 1.1.6 Thinkamancer/Date-a-mancer/Hat Magician
- 1.1.7 Thinkamancer/Thinkamancer
- 1.1.8 Thinkamancer/Florist/Turnamancer
- 1.1.9 Thinkamancer/Croakamancer/Turnamancer
- 1.1.10 Thinkamancer/Croakamancer/Dirtamancer
- 1.1.11 Thinkamancer/Carnymancer/Florist/?
- 1.1.12 Thinkamancer/Carnymancer/Signamancer
- 1.1.13 Thinkamancer/Carnymancer/Healomancer
- 1.1 Known Links
- 2 Speculation
A Caster link is made when two or three Casters are joined physically (via holding hands or by a chain, for instance) and mentally through a Thinkamancer in order to create a whole greater than the sum of its parts. The linked Casters can perform Spells far more powerful and complex than any single Caster could consider possible. Casters united in this way are said to be linked.
A Thinkamancer joins with one or two other Casters to create a combined consciousness. The process of creating the link can be aided by each Caster recalling how it felt when it first cast a Spell of its Discipline, which is described as warm, comforting, and familiar.Erf-b1-p135 The casters then lose their individuality and revert to representing only their Discipline. It is still possible for a Caster to remember its former existenceErf-b1-p046, but using this knowledge strains and might break the link.Erf-b1-p054 The link is fragile, and can be broken by merely calling one of the Casters by its name, so the linked Casters are referred to by their Disciplines instead (ie. Thinkamancer, Dirtamancer, Lookamancer, etc.).
Breaking the link can result in damage to the minds of the Casters, but this is similar to the backlash of other Thinkamancy Spells, so a good Thinkamancer can protect herself (or himself) from the damage by forcing the other Casters to bear the brunt.Erf-b1-p084. Such backlash can lead to severe trauma, including temporary catatonia, insanity, or death. Erf-b1-p077
A two Caster link may be dissolved by the Thinkamancer that began the link without harming either Caster. A three Caster link cannot be safely broken without the help of other Thinkamancers.
Circumstances of First Dissolution
- Accidentally broken by Parson when he addressed Misty by name.Erf-b1-p046
- Partial or averted dissolution? Sizemore strongly assumes that the link was broken by Parson's actions.Erf-b1-p054
- No harmful effects.
Circumstances of Second Dissolution Erf-b1-p072
- Broken by Maggie upon order of Stanley the Tool.
- Maggie protected herself from the backlash.
- Jack Snipe was driven insane until his name was spoken.
- Misty croaked.
- Uncroak volcanoesErf-b1-p135 and control the direction of the blastErf-b1-p142
- Enhanced perception of terrain (leading to gem finding)Erf-b1-p142
Circumstances of Dissolution
- Unraveled by five Thinkamancers, at least one master-class.
- No negative effects.
- Upgrading a City with better results than by a Dirtamancer alone.
Circumstances of Dissolution
- Presumably dissolved by Maggie with no danger.
- Investigated the Eyebooks for security holes, made security improvements, and upgraded them to become able to project 3D Foolamancy.
- It is not certain whether Carnymancy or Thinkamancy was actually involved in this particular link, due to the Arkendish. This particular spell impacted the rules of Erfworld (as Carnymancy is 'the art of rigging the game'), so it is very likely that Charlie provided his own discipline in addition to the Thinkamancy granted by the Arkendish.
- The first ranged link-up shown in canon — i.e. it doesn't require physical contact between casters — most likely due to the power of the Arkendish. It placed severe mental strain on Charlie, making him unable to broadcast to other Archons during the link. He did manage to send a terse thinkagram to King Slately, which risked breaking the link.
- Forcing a side to end their turn early. This was a surprise to both Jetstone and Gobwin Knob, so it's unlikely regular Turnamancy can do this, even with a master-class caster.
- Vanna states that the spell cost two turns' worth of juice; unless casters can "hold over" juice from preceding turns, this implies that Charlie shared some of the juice cost. This may or may not be a normal function of a caster link. Alternatively, it may mean that it used up juice while it was still Gobwin Knob's turn and left Vanna drained even after the Royal Coalition's turn began.
Circumstances of Dissolution
- Broken by Charlie at the beginning of the Jetstone/Faq/Haggar?/Transylvito? alliance's turn, with no negative effects to Vanna. This is normal for a two-caster link.
- Created the Laurel of Napster.
- A pair of linked Thinkamancers standing in different nodes of amplification can send and detect G-string vibrations far better than a single caster. Notably, it is easily possible for a single caster to achieve the same effect just by oscillating between the different nodes themself, since the trick works in the first place by giving the Thinkamancer more perspective.
- Creation of the initial Heroine buds. The buds appear to be fertile, so future production did not require a link.
- Ability to create a box of tricks, a Magic Item that can be used for all sorts of creative torture on a captive in order to interrogate or turn them.
- Inspired the creation of memorial stones.
- Olive Branch
- The Thinkamancy was provided by the Arkendish. There may have also been multiple linkups with casters from other disciplines involved, since the very focus of their research was in how to emulate other disciplines, and the Arkendish allowed for safe two-caster linkups without a Thinkamancer.
- Discovered ways to emulate other disciplines using Flower Power, including Healomancy, Signamancy, Date-a-mancy, and Thinkamancy.
- Created a powerful contract called a "Deal of a Lifetime". This contract is unbreakable for both parties by anything save croaking. Faq was bound to protect Charlie's secrets, while Charlie was bound to keep Faq's existence a secret and never attack them. Even speaking of Charlie's secrets in vague ways carries a physical penalty. Nevertheless, after Jack's decryption, he was able to spill the beans.
- Was able to keep Wanda alive from the effects of the heroine buds.
- Was able to reduce Jillian's dependency on the heroine buds.
- Was able to destroy a fragment of Jillian's personality, the jester, and rearrange her mind.
To discuss the power of speculative link-ups, please visit Speculative Link-ups.
Since the Arkendish can provide unmatched Thinkamancy to a caster of a different discipline, effectively making 1 caster count as 2, it might be possible to use the Arkendish for a 4 discipline linkup.
It is rare, but possible, for a single caster to become master-class in more than one discipline. Isaac for example, is a master of Thinkamancy and Lookamancy, and an adept at Foolamancy. It might be possible for such a caster to perform feats similar to caster links. Maybe even add their extra disciplines to an actual caster link, resulting in a linkup with more than 3 disciplines involved. It should be noted though, that in a caster link, the casters effectively become avatars of their own disciplines. So while it might be possible for them to simulate other disciplines using their own natural discipline (like how Olive Branch created Flower Power that produced the effects of Healomancy), they might find it difficult to access their other disciplines directly.