Each day is divided up into a series of Turns, and each Side gets a single Turn per day.
A Turn is a period of time, in which certain actions may be taken by a Side. It is not the same thing as Dawn, the beginning of the Day, although the first side to have a turn starts at Dawn. Sides, whose turn comes later, have to wait for it. All units of the side naturally realize, when their side's turn starts.
The natural turn order is determined by the age of the side.Erf-b3-p150
For a given side, if it doesn't share a battlespace and will not share potential battlespaces in the upcoming turn with a certain another side's units, then that another side's turn is skipped for them. Battlespace determinations are Natural Predictamancy.Erf-b0-p27
If multiple Sides ally, they take turns simultaneously, on the Turn of the last ally. For instance, in example of three sides A, B and C that naturally take turn in that order, if Side A allies with Side C, then Side B will take Turn before Sides A and C, who take Turn simultaneously. If Sides A and B ally, they will both still take Turn before Side C, but they will do so simultaneously instead of consecutively.
When alliances break, sides get separate Turns and those, whose Turn is supposed to naturally come in later, get their Turn suspended, until the Turns of the ex-allied sides with the "earlier" natural turns are concluded.Hvs.tCF 224
So, a side starts the turn at Dawn if it's the oldest side in Erfworld, or if all the older sides in the vicinity either could not have a potential battle with it, are newer or are allied with at least one newer side.
Known natural order
Rough order of turns based on the events of the comic is:
Note: The individual sides in the Coalition may normally take their turns in a different order.
Acting on Turn
At the beginning of Turn:
- All Casters regain juice.Hvs.tCF_191
- All Units healErf-b1-p046a and are cleansed. Any damage to their raiment is repaired.LIAB Prologue 4
- Rations pop.Erf-b1-p037 and Erf-b1-p106
- Unclaimed corpses of the Side coming on Turn disappear.Erf-b1-p077a
- Critically Incapacitated Units croak.
During its Turn, a Unit may:
Ending a Turn
Once a Side has completed all of the actions it wishes to perform for all the Units on its Side, the ruler or the Chief Warlord declares the Side's Turn is over. The day proceeds to the next Side's Turn.
Ending the turn depletes all the remaining Move of the units to 0. If they would to make an alliance with a side whose turn hasn't started yet or is ongoing, this will not be a new start of turn and they will not get any new Move.
- Defend itself from an attack.
- Attack enemies only when enemies are in its hex.
- Stack and Unstack units
- Cast Spells only when enemies are in its hex.
- Some spells, such as Thinkagrams, can be cast at any point.
- Automatically attack when in contact with non-allied units, unless a commander is present.
- Use Natural Abilities. This includes casters' tricks that don't cost juice.
- Change position within its hex (e.g. Lord Hamster's many redeployments during the Battle for Gobwin Knob).
If a side joins an alliance during that alliance's turn, its units may now cast Spells and attack units , but they don't get their Move replenished or Health restored a second time, if their Turn already happened.
Turnamancy may affect the Turn in some way. It has been noted that it can, in fact, be used to end an opposing side's turn prematurely, even if only in a caster link. What other uses it may have in this respect are unclear.
A turn ends on its own possibly through the innate magic of Natural Turnamancy.