A unit may either choose to turnLIAB 73 Hvs.tCF 122, or be ordered to turn by their Ruler.IPTSF Text 60 An intent to turn needs to be accepted by the target side, either by its Ruler or a Commander unit (Warlord or Caster).IPTSF Text 62 Hvs.tCF 118
- Captured Wanda turned from barbarian to Haffaton after getting addicted to Heroine buds. IPTSF Text 54
- Lookamancer Orwell turned from Faq to Haffaton on King Banhammer's order. IPTSF Text 60
- Wanda turned from Haffaton to Faq on Overlady Judy Gale's order. IPTSF Text 62
- Captured Lookamancer Orwell turned from barbarian to Faq after the fall of Haffaton. IPTSF Text 73
- Wanda turned from Faq to Gobwin Knob. TBFGK 147 LIAB Text 27
- Captured Foolamancer Jack Snipe turned, or was turned, from Barbarian to Gobwin Knob after the fall of Faq. LIAB Text 27
- Captured Warlord Duncan Scone was turned from Jitterati to Faq by Turnamancer Vanna.LIAB Prologue 28
- Decrypted Warlord Ossomer turned from Gobwin Knob to Jetstone. LIAB 73
- Parson Gotti turned from Gobwin Knob to Charlescomm as negotiated in treaty violation parleyHvs.tCF 117, then back to Gobwin Knob at the request of Jack Snipe, after Gobwin Knob's treasury got big enough to sustain the treaty violation penalty.Hvs.tCF 122
The process is unclear; casters captured in battle, especially after a side is destroyed and they become barbarians, sometimes join their captors, particularly as an alternative to croaking. A unit can apparently turn in the field if properly motivated; of course, Obedience, Loyalty, and Duty all work against this process.
When Jillian was under the influence of Wanda, and would not attack the wounded dwagons, Jaclyn tried to prod her into choosing some course of action, including abandoning the fight or turning to Stanley's side and joining up with the dwagons.
Later, Jillian asked Wanda to turn and join the Royal Crown Coalition.
Vanna, a turnamancer working for Faq on contract, successfully turned Jitterati Warlord Duncan Scone to Faq, after Faq had sacked two of his side's cities and staged side-wide betrayal by their natural allies. The indication is that a turnamancer has magic that can assist in the speed and success of turning. She could not instantly turn a Decrypted Ansom at a distance, however. It remains to be seen what that means.
It is also apparently possible for a unit to Turn with the permission of their Ruler, presumably as part of a trade or surrender agreement (or occasionally for more bizzare purposes). This action is twice demonstrated in the story "Inner Peace through Superior Firepower", and apparently uses the formal oath “On orders from my Ruler and with my full personal consent, I hereby pledge allegiance to the side of X, and its Ruler, for all the rest of my turns”. No oath seems to be necessary to seal an unordered Turning.Hvs.tCF 122
In Digdoug Episode 9, we see a Barbarian caster joining a side for the first time. This is referred to as "aligning" and is apparently distinct from regular Turning.