Shmuckers that belong to a Side are stored in the Side's treasury, while a barbarian Warlord or Caster stores shmuckers in a personal purse. It is implied that in both cases Shmuckers are not stored as physical objects (e.g. coins), but rather as symbolical means of exchange.
They cannot be directly exchanged between sides, but may be transferred as part of a contract. Another option is to have a Moneymancer convert them into physical gems at a minuscule cost in juice and give them to the other sideHvs.tCF 270 (e.g. transport them by Hat Magic).
Gems have a shmucker value which is set at their creation. Only a Moneymancer can convert schmuckers into gems, but any commander can convert gems back into schmuckers.IDK the reference It has also been stated that jewelry of sufficient quality can be converted directly into shmuckers.
The other most common form of currency in use is the Rand, used in the Magic Kingdom. An exact exchange rate is unknown and probably doesn't exist; a single Rand is roughly one turn of upkeep for a barbarian caster. Coins (mentioned before) don't have value at all, and are only used in recreational activities.
What follows is a list of prices and values that have been mentioned in the comic, ordered by value:
- The Spell to summon Parson cost a base of 350,000 for the Scroll itself and an additional but optional 150,000 for the casting and support plan, a total of 500,000Erf-b1-p005 Shmuckers. Stanley considered this an outrageous sum, and the larger figure was literally Gobwin Knob's entire treasuryErf-b1-p006 at the start of the Battle for Gobwin Knob. Coincidentally, Sizemore speculates that the Mathamancy Bracer would fetch a half-million Shmuckers from a mathamancy-reliant overlord. Erf-b1-p054
- Charlie tried to charge Don King 250,000 per turn to ally himself with Transylvito in order to ambush Stanley on his way to Faq.Erf-b1-p107 The price was exorbitantly high, and designed to make Don King reluctant to pay.
- Caesar Borgata quoted Don King claiming that 250,000 shmuckers was the extra money that would be needed for Transylvito to take Carpool from the Carpudlians. Erf-b1.5-p011
- The expense of designating Prince Tramennis as Jetstone's heir is estimated at around 165,000 (or slightly less), as calculated based on Charlie's offer of 5,000 per Decrypted Archon destroyed and a bonus of 25,000 for capturing one and returning it to him alive.
- Dewy Tulips claimed that the Carpudlians paid about 40,000 Shmuckers to ransom the city of Carport to avoid it being sacked. Erf-b1.5-p011
- Jillian felt Faq's treasury increase by about 40,000 when she razed Progrock, noting at the same time that this sum would secure her side's upkeep for 8-10 turns, putting Faq's total upkeep between 4,000 and 5,000 per turn.Erf-b2-pT43
- The upper limit of the purse of a level 10 Warlord or Caster is 10,000. Since few units achieve this level or higher, this is roughly the upper limit that one unit could have (outside of gems).
- Jillian argues that 2,500 Shmuckers for Charlie's ThinkagramErf-b1-p051 service is far from a "nominal" fee as advertised by one of the Archons. Webinar mentions that the fee is "for two-way". A presumably one-way Thinkagram to Ansom cost her 1700 Shmuckers, which was almost her entire purse.Erf-b1-p083
- Parson's upkeep is "over 1,000 Shmuckers per turn"Erf-b1-p039. Stanley seems to regard this as annoyingly expensive, but not utterly outrageous.
- The Upkeep of the weakest Archons are 200 Shmuckers per turn. The most powerful Archons can cost close to 500 Shmuckers per turn. Since Charlie has over 600 Archons, his Archon fleet has a total upkeep cost that is somewhere between 120,000 Shmuckers to 300,000 Shmuckers per turn.
- The upkeep of carnymancer Dove Barstool during the story of DigDoug is 75 Shmuckers per turn. She charged 500 to fool Delkey's moneymancer during an audit, and 2,000 to help Posbrake survive a prediction that their side would suffer a massive air attack.