On Erfworld, things which seem to have no practical function can perform a symbolic function. For example, Gobwin Knob has a "bank", which is simply an empty building. By occasionally stepping inside this "bank", Parson can "inspect" the "bank", which makes Gobwin Knob's economy more productive.
Since there is no pregnancy and there are no babies in Erfworld, heirs are popped, nookie also seems to have no practical bearing on poppingWoT-4047518. However, it may serve an important symbolic function. According to Parson's discussion with Maggie, the technical act and "tools" involved are much the same.
Known Nookie Pairings
- Wanda and Stanley TBFGK 48
- Jillian and Ansom TBFGK 73
- Olive Branch and Tommy Firebaugh IPTSF Text 14
- Jillian and Bart Lightrail IPTSF Text 38
- Jillian and Marika Neagle IPTSF Text 43
- Wanda and various Haffaton casters IPTSF Text 55
- Archons and various clients LIAB Prologue 25
- Jillian and Vinny Doombats LIAB Prologue 28
- Sizemore and Uhura LIAB Text 31
- Artemis and Prince Forthewin LIAB Text 50
- Terry Sagittari and Dodge LIAB Text 55
- Duncan and Vanna Hvs.tCF 38
- Don King and Vanna Hvs.tCF 159
- Bill and his Doll of Bunny Hvs.tCF 165
- Jillian and Jack Snipe IPTSF Text 77
- Vinny Doombats and Faq-based skanks LIAB Epilogue 21
- Parson Gotti and Archons Hvs.tCF 81
- Bea and Don King Hvs.tCF 160
While Nookie serves no biological functions, it may be considered to serve social functions like with bonobos. It has also been speculated that it can influence the traits of a popped unit when an heir or noble unit is involved. Namely, Jillian and Vinny's involvement is speculated to have a bearing on the personality/temperament of Jillian's son, Albert Zamussels, who seems to have inherited Signamancy and even specials from Vinny.
Nookie could be a form of Natural Date-a-mancy. In addition to the aformentioned possible influence on heirs, the nature of the emotions involved with such an act could both build and destroy relationships, not only between individual units, but also sides. A study of who is (or is not) engaging in Nookie with whom and why may give a breakdown of relationships between units and how to use that against the units in question.
Presumed Nookie Pairings
- Vinny Doombats and Jaclyn, two other Archons TBFGK 73
- Jillian and her Three-Edged Sword IPTSF Text 37
- Olive Branch and Loj Banhammer IPTSF Text 59
- Slately and Holly Shortcake LIAB Text 42
- Dove Barstool and Posbrake Diggoug 11
- Bunny and Ponzie Hvs.tCF 60
- Bunny and Caesar Borgata Hvs.tCF 158
Speculative Nookie Pairings
- Wanda and her uncroaked IPTSF Text 5
- Jillian and Wanda IPTSF Text 78
- Ace and Cubbins LIAB 93
- Archons and Charlie Hvs.tCF 99
- Tramennis and his duplicate Hvs.tCF 85
Similarly to Earth, emotional attachments are often associated with nookie pairings, as evidenced by the complexities of the relationships between Wanda, Jillian, Ansom, and Vinny. However, it is unclear how deeply these emotional bonds run, and it may depend on the individual. That said, there have been multiple cases in which love and nookie coincide, and those emotions, particularly when combined with the ability of ruler, warlord and caster units to exercise free will, may have changed the outcomes of engagements (e.g. Wanda not croaking Jillian at the Tower of Efdup, or Jillian's capturing Ansom at the Expository Bridge).