First Appearance: TBFGK Epilogue 15
The general rule with ferals is, if it is bigger than you, it will attack. Otherwise, it will not willingly engage.
Some animals are subtly altered relative to their Real World counterparts. (Note the horns on the "horned sheep" in the image to the right.)
While Transylvitians and some other Units (ie. doombats, gwiffons, and other predatory species) can consume portions of animals raw in lieu of provisions or Rations, other Units (ie. Men, Twolls) cook portions of a carcass. While in the field, weather can prevent the building of campfires, forcing Units requiring cooked meat to draw from previously prepared provisions or paying full Upkeep for Rations.
Instances of using wildlife as provisions:
- Bogroll made a pigeon pie (with walnuts)Erf-b1-p037
- Bogroll later brings Parson a plate of provisions including some sort of small bird to tide him over until breakfast poppedErf-b1-p104
- Doombats eating mosquitoes
- Doombats draining a horned sheep of blood
- Transylvito vampire warlords draining a horned sheep of blood
- Jillian Zamussels roasting the haunch of a horned sheep
- Jillian gutting a pet fish
- Gwiffons sucking the marrow and absorbing the hooves and horns of a horned sheep (perhaps in reference to the popular belief that gelatin is made from hooves and horns)
- Countess Artemis and her stack could leave their pre-packed provisions untouched and only ate what she shot on her way from Firestone to Spacerock
- An applebee apparently produces honey, as there is a mead (fermented honey drink) named after it in WB2014 Digdoug - Episode 11.
- This topic is currently under discussion. See the Talk page for details.
Feral creatures, currently assumed to be a type of wildlife, can be tamed. This appears to turn them into normal units for a side. Taming is not a universally available ability. Vinny Doombats has the ability to tame feral bats, and the Arkenhammer conveys the ability to tame dwagons. While a fugitive prisoner, Jillian Zamussels tamed a yellow dwagon by first feeding it a high elf.IPTSF Text 45 Some wildlife are not known to be completely tamable, but can be made friendly.
Cooking in the Real World kills disease causing bacteria, tenderizes the meat, eases digestion, and alters the flavor of the original meat. So far, there has been no mention of disease or parasites in the comic, so the function of cooking may be limited to the latter functions.
The feral bat tamed by Vinny Doombats differs in appearance from the doombatsErf-b1.5-p016 and may be a different creature altogether.