Shockmancy attacks can be redirected and grounded by the right items, such as miracle poles.
Shockmancy is directed through conduits of some form by Charlie to provide an improved connection to the Arkendish where physical contact is not required, referred to by Charlie as shocked connections. It is implied that other functions of Charlescomm (city) also run off Shockmancy. These conduits were created by Dirtamancer Ivan Poe.
|This article section is a stub. You can help Erfwiki by .|
- Stunning Spells that disable units.
- Flash mobs, which make units outside a given hex unable to see what is happening in it besides the flash. Note that this is not a flash of light, but a flash of pure naughtymancy, using the ability of shockamancy to "shock" (ie, outrage or astound) the mind or morals of targets.
- Shock Spells
- Spells that inflict direct damage.
- Much like Stupidworld's electricity, there are certain forms of machinery that can be powered by Shockmancy, including lights and the ability to transmit Thinkamancy over cables. For the most part, only Charlescomm has demonstrated the skill needed to do this.
Falls are treated as Natural Shockmancy. You can be injured, incapacitated, or croaked as a result of a fall (distance fallen has an effect on this). When not directed by a caster, tower defense spells consist of Shockmancy. LIAB Text 43 Damaging weather effects also count as Natural Shockmancy, though they are also within the purview of Dirtamancers to control.
- Rusty Trombone, formerly of Faq before its fall.
- Caesar mentions that Carpool has a Shockmancer and he visited the city of Chocula before it was attacked by Transylvito. The Carpudlian Shockmancer bulked up the tower air defenses prior to the battle. These air defenses may have resembled those in place at the Tower of Efdup in the Battle for Gobwin KnobErf-b1-p097, but they may also have been merely large-scale stunning spells that would have left Transylvito's airborne force immobilized and thus fatally vulnerable to the city's defenders.
What remains of Charlie's health is maintained by machinery that apparently leaves a feel of Shockmancy. It is possible that Shockmancy can be used as an equivalent to stupidworld's electricity for certain kinds of magic items.
Real World References
When casting the SpellErf-b1-p126 Sizemore mentions names of well known pictures or videos on the Internet, which are disturbing for viewers, and difficult to get out of one's head; colloquially, these pages are known as shock sites. NSFW sound effect is an abbreviation for Not Safe for Work, which would certainly apply to shock sites in general. 4Chan sound effect as a secondary sound effect accompanying the explosion is an image site well known its "execrable" standards as well as for posting and producing shock images.
The "Flash mob" ability used by the Archons is a double-entendre of Real World references. The term refers to any group of people who assemble suddenly in a single location to perform some action, as a group of Archons did over Expository Bridge. Once assembled, the Archons "flashed" (i.e. exposed parts of their bodies to) the forces of Jetstone to stun them into not noticing the casting of a veil in the adjacent hex. Thus the tactic was both a flash mob and a mob that flashed. The effect of stunning a target could also be a reference to a "flash-bang" grenade which is used by law enforcement and military to blind, disorient, and stun opponents.