Since "Erf" is the name of the world, much as "Earth" (which is another word for "dirt") is the name of the Real World, then being the magic discipline which is closest to the physical "stuff" of the world, Dirtamancy is the magic discipline that has the most impact on the physical in the land of Erf.
Dirtamancy is apparently a rare discipline. It is under-appreciated by many sides, sometimes relegated to menial tasks such as latrine duty. Conversely, within in the Magic Kingdom it is highly regarded and wealthy, with a private enclave called the Dirtamansion.
- Moving and digging through solid stone.
- Dirtamantic Golems
- Creating and healing Dirtamancy golems such as: Crap Golems, Acid Rock Golems, Soft Rock Golems, Hard Rock Golems, Metal Golems
- Can construct, demolish and upgrade: Traps, walls, tilling gardens, digging foundations, making stone paths, tunnels, drains, and sewers, etc. They can dig out structures underneath the ground they are walking on. They can also construct traps that harness terrain features.
- Fire Extinction
- They extinguish fires better than other units and are the only units that can put out a fire that has reached Inferno status.
- Matter Awareness/Manipulation
- Can sense and change the composition of things; typically the ground under them, (such as turning sand into clay and then into limestone) but also food or drink. Like coffee.
- Area Effect Poisons
- Poisons that take effect on a mass scale are considered closer to Dirtamancy than Flower Power.
- Sizemore Rockwell, in the service of the Gobwin Knob
- Ivan Poe, of Gobwin Knob. Formerly a contractor for Charlie living in the Magic Kingdom. Briefly joined Charlescomm before string-cut by the Great Minds and then serendipitously decrypted and now in service of Gobwin Knob;
- Digdoug Mole, a barbarian in the Magic Kingdom, previously of Follywood and Homekey;
- Buck Nugget, a Chief of Stuff from the Dirtamansion;
- Mike Robe, a qualified caster from the Dirtamansion;
- Joe Spade, a dirtamancer from the Dirtamansion, qualified;
- Crude Derrick, a dirtamancer from the Dirtamansion;
- Notch-O, a dirtamancer from the Dirtamansion;
- Pinkie Shears, a dirtamancer from the Dirtamansion;
- Dirtie Rockafeller, a dirtamancer from the Dirtamansion;
- Baby Carat, a dirtamancer from the Dirtamansion;
- Komatsu of Haffaton (croaked).
A Dirtamancer is also known to give a substantial combat bonus to Dirtamancy golems under his or her command.
A Dirtamancer present in the city at the time of an upgrade also substantially reduces the cost. A Dirtamancer that is present when a city upgrades dictates the look of the city and the livery (if any) present within.LIAB Prologue 4
Fixing cosmetic damage to a city such as stained carpets, broken decorations, and expired powerballs is automagically performed on a city, much like cleansing, at start of turn. This causes the city to produce slightly fewer Shmuckers on that turn, and is optional for the ruler Hvs.tCF_294.
As a form of Stuffamancy, Dirtamancy is aligned with Matter, but not with Life or Motion. However, most of the abilities which a Dirtamancer commands seem to allow him to either grant matter a magical substitute for Life (as in the creation of golems), or to involve the movement of matter, (such as in the construction of tunnels.)
The highest rank in the Dirtamancy community is the High Muckymuck.